Who We Are
ST. MATTHEW
EVANGELICAL
LUTHERAN CHURCH

Service Times

Worship:
Sundays at 9:00 a.m.

Sunday Church School:
Sundays at 10:30 a.m.

Baptism Education Hour
3rd Sunday of each month an

New Member Education Hour
4th Sunday of each month an

Congregation Links:
June Calendar
June Newsletter
St. Matthew's Preschool

Contact Information:

Address:
222 Church Street
Lehighton, PA 18235

Phone Number:
(610) 377-2972

Email:
stmattlc@ptd.net


Please send any changes,
announcements or updates to

stmattlcpa@yahoo.com

Pastor...
The Reverend
Nancy L. Moore

Church Secretary...
Lisa Everett

Minister of Music...
Robert Fatzinger, M.Div

The Northeastern
Pennsylvania Synod
http://nepsynod.org/
Our History
The congregation of St. Matthew's was organized in 1878 by the
Rev. J. S. Erb, and was part of a three part congregation parish
with St. Paul's Church, Big Creek, and St. Paul's Church,
Weissport. The tri-parish continues until June of 1960 when St.
Paul's Big Creek separated, followed by St. Paul's Weissport on on
April 15, 1970.
St. Matthew's original sanctuary was located on Fairyland Road,
Franklin Township, on land donated by Mr. George Miller. The
sanctuary was 24 x 50 with a 60 foot tower including a bell. The
cornerstone was laid in March 17, 1878 and dedication services
were held in the fall of that same year. Services were originally
conducted, each Sunday in German and English, German
predominating. Our congregation enjoyed the celebration of the
Lord's Supper only twice a year. On these Sundays,  as well as on
all festive occasions, the offerings were for benevolence.
Confirmation was held on Palm Sunday or Easter. A Parish
Cemetery was created between 1938 and 1941.
The 75th anniversary of St. Matthew's was celebrated in 1953,
and new organ chimes were dedicated. Long-time St. Matthew's
members will always remember May 12, 1962, when fire
completely destroyed the church. Worship services were then
held at St. Paul's Weissport for a short time, and then Richard
Miller's Hosiery Factory, while Sunday Church School was
conducted in congregation member's homes.
A new site for St. Matthew's was blessed on July 21, 1963 with
Pastor Edwin Druckenmiller as liturgist, and Lawrence Rehrig,
Sunday School Teacher and Luther League Leader, as the main
speaker. Ground breaking ceremonies were held December 2,
1963. Construction of the current sanctuary began April 8, 1964,
and the cornerstone was laid September 27th of that same year.
The first worship service was conducted on Easter Sunday, 1965,
and a service of official dedication at 3 p.m. on April 25, 1965.
The original plans of our current edifice was a three-phase
program, with cost expected to be about $145,000 when
complete. The first phase of St. Matthew's was the sanctuary and
education hallway. This phase was predicted to cost about
$70,000 but until complete to the current status, cost was
$85,000. Second phase was our Fellowship Hall and offices
approved for building September 12, 1971. Dedication took place
on October 29, 1972. The third phase was never placed in
progress, but currently St. Matthew's New Wing committee is
working to create funds to look into construction of the third
phase to add more individual classroom space.
St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church celebrated its 100th
anniversary with a celebration service on September 16, 1978, at
which the bell and tower on the front lawn of St. Matthew's was
dedicated. The majestic stained glass windows in the Narthex
were repaired and storm windows were installed in 1983. In
1987 the sound system was installed and the following year a
new roof was put on the sanctuary. The room dividers in the
Fellowship Hall were installed in 1991. Since then, a few minor
renovations and refurbishings have occurred in our Fellowship
Hall and offices.
In September 1994, a very active part of St. Matthew's ministry
was begun. Eight members, under the direction of Mrs. Judy
Wade began weekly practices to form St. Matthew's Handbell
Choir. The bells were purchased in June of that year by
congregation members buying a bell in honor or in memory of a
loved one. Pastor John Harding dedicated our two octaves of
handbells October 23rd, and the choir performed their first
pieces. A second choir was formed in September of 1995, and
seven more ringers joined St. Matthew's music endeavors. The
two choirs were now named the Celebration Ringers and the
Kingdom Ringers, who began playing during worship services as
well as in our community. The following month, two octaves of
hand chimes were added to complement our bells. May of 1996
was the congregation's first annual Handbell Concert, and the
following September, we again enlarged our ministry by adding a
youth Handbell Choir and a children's Chime Choir. Our third
octave of bells was purchased in June of 1997, and another half
octave added to the upper register in December of 1999. St.
Matthew's Handbell and Chime Choirs over the years have had as
few as twelve ringers, and as many as thirty. Each year the choirs
prepare pieces for our worship services, as well as for our
community when opportunities presented themselves.
In March of 1999 committee members began looking into the
possibility of the purchasing of a new organ for our sanctuary.
On August 1, 1999, St. Matthew's congregation voted and
passed the proposal of this purchase, as well as the remodeling
of the organ loft. The organ was dedicated November 21, 1999,
during worship and followed by recitals in November and
January.
2018 Congregation Council

    Keith Ahner, President
    Tammy Mathisen, Vice President
    Jerri Vanage, Secretary/Treasurer
    Larry Werley, Financial Treasurer
    Charles Wade
    Mary Pavlik
    Dennis Hawk
    Lisa Beers
    Kenneth Yeakel
      Randy Semmel
Lutheran Identity
St. Matthew's Mission Statement
By God's grace, we Christians at St. Matthew's Evangelical Lutheran Church, Franklin Township are
called to reach out and serve the community and beyond. We are bearers of the good news of God's love
strengthened through worship, fellowship and education.
--Approved by the congregation of St. Matthew's on the 29th day of April 2012
ST. MATTHEW
EVANGELICAL
LUTHERAN CHURCH

The Reverend Michael Frost,
Pastor

Church Secretary...
Lisa Everett

Minister of Music...
Robert Fatzinger, M.Div

The Northeastern
Pennsylvania Synod
http://nepsynod.org/
Service Times

Worship:
Sundays at 8:30 a.m.

Sunday Church School:
Sundays 9:45 a.m. - 10:45 a.m.

Baptism Education Hour
by appointment

New Member Education Hour
by appointment

Congregation Links:
St. Matthew's Preschool

Contact Information:

Address:
222 Church Street
Lehighton, PA 18235

Phone Number:
(610) 377-2972

Email:
stmattlc@ptd.net


Please send any changes,
announcements or updates to

stmattlcpa@yahoo.com